gnome-terminator team mailing list archive

My hacks don't work anymore after ubuntu 20.04 install.

Hi Terminator Guru's

I am a long time terminator user, and to fit my needs I use to hack
terminal.py, this hack don't work anymore, I attempted a brute force 'port'
but I can't make it work.

I am totally python and gtk illiterate, so my hack was plain intuitive, and
in some way luckly used to work.

In the following I name 'window' the window opened by the window manager,
and terminal , the vte inside the window( I use no tabs)

I Need to have the 'terminal' title bar at the bottom of the terminal, it
may sounds odd, but that's the way I work. A short explanation is that I
use the 'window' title for 'global' things like window char width, plus a
copy of the active 'terminal' title.

And I use the 'terminal' title at the bottom basically as a status line,
since it is at the bottom, it is very close to my shell prompt that is a
single '$ ' and I stuff the working dir along with my git branch in the
status bar (terminal title), this way the eyes movement to spot PWD or
branch is immediate.

A side comment for the dinos out there (that I am) we used to have on hp
terminals, or vt100 something called a status line at the bottom of the
screen, often used to display the display function keys label, that's the
thing I was doing back then for doing my prompt stuff... using the status
line  :)

My hack used to be very simple, I used to invert 2 line in terminal.py that
was

        self.show()
        self.pack_start(self.terminalbox)     # phi: inverted
        self.pack_start(self.titlebar, False) # phi: inverted
        self.pack_end(self.searchbar)

By doing this I was an happy camper since age, I was doing other tiny
things irrelevant here.

I tempted a brute transposition in today's terminator

        self.show()
        self.pack_start(self.terminalbox, True, True, 0) # phi: inverted
        self.pack_start(self.titlebar, False, True, 0)   # phi: inverted
        self.pack_end(self.searchbar, True, True, 0)

And it doesn't place the terminal title at the botom. I also tried many
combo of True, False but have no idea what those things are doing, so I
guess this will not solve my problem here.

Any pointer appreciated :)

Cheers
Phi

PS: Keep going terminator, it's a killer :)

Follow ups