gnome-zeitgeist-users team mailing list archive

activities and (events) --> notifications

Hi Seif, Natan, Siegfried, Federico, and everyone else!

  There is the topic of

Calling what oneself does "activities", because

-          You do it, you're active

-          And you continuously perceive what you do

. versus "events", which come in

Quote: "events are the results of other's activities"

That's a big part of it, but not all

It's

-          News

-          Emails from other's

-          Things that happen on your computer

-          Awareness info about someone else

-          Etc.

I think, we should name this "notifications" .. as the general term for it

.. and we can use it as in the following to make it more clear what is meant

-          News notifications

-          Email-notifications

-          Computer-system notifications

-          Seif notifications

-          Etc.

Notifications is also the term used frequently in computer science for
messages/events you subscribe to . which would technically be the case in
zeitgeist.

The core distinction is that an actor (you or your computer or an agent or
whatsoever) performs activities and can let others know (who/which are
interested) about what's going (news, rss, ..) on via notifications

While yourself perform activities, you can be notified about what's going on
(elsewhere or at some other time, possibly some other actor) via
notifications, which is only really needed, if you cannot observe what's
going on yourself, or, if you want to keep/record info about what's / what
has been going on.

->  notifications let you know about what's going on.

Just some thoughts.

What do you think?

Cheers,  Thorsten