gnome-zeitgeist-users team mailing list archive

New idea for sharing data across computers

Hi all,

I am a gnome user that follows GNOME developments through news sites
like phoronix and reads parts of change logs, not much more. Sometimes,
I also report bugs.

I would like to share an idea that came to me for solving a problem I
often have : sharing the state of my desktop across computer… If such
idea is already in development, please give me pointers to it, as I did
not found anything related for GNOME.

Suppose a simple scenario : you want to start writing an email at home.
While writing, you run out of time and have to go at work. If I save in
evolution the draft, I can't get it at work.
That's the beauty of "everything in the cloud" : if I use a webmail, I
will have access to the draft everywhere I have internet access. But we
all know what that means for privacy, and probably a lot of people would
like to avoid having all their data in one or two private company.

My idea is to have the ability to securely share the whole state of my
GNOME Desktop across computers. Today, application synchronization is
done application by application. Firefox implemented its own solution
for sharing history, bookmarks, … Tomboy proposes its own system, etc…

The GNOME desktop (and probably all desktop environment) should today
propose an infrastructure for reliably share the state of applications
across computers. Not only could people synchronize the state of their
messaging tool like evolution, but also all opened applications
(session), the bash history, gedit last opened documents, even
documents, in a centralized, reliable system !

There's even more : with some GUI tool, one could even share selected
parts of their data/apps state to someone else, with no fuss and
securely ! Even multi-way synchronisation "à la" unison seems possible…

For that purpose, I would like to know if zeitgeist would be the right
infrastructure to support that, if it is a good and feasible solution,
how this can be done, etc…

What do you think ?

Étienne Lepercq