graphics-drivers-testers team mailing list archive

PRIME Issues with Lenovo X1 Extreme (GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2), and Nvidia driver 418

Hi all,

I'm new to the testing team, so first a short hello to everyone.

Just wanted to help out in improving the newest drivers - I have a
perfectly reproducable issue here, and maybe I can assist fixing this
with your help.

My system is a Lenovo X1 Extreme with a hybrid graphics, intel and
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2

I have Ubuntu 18.04.2 installed with all updates and the NVidia driver
418 from

http://ppa.launchpad.net/graphics-drivers/ppa/ubuntu bionic main

The good news - NVidia graphics including HDMI in hybrid mode works,
also switching between nvidia and intel graphics (via nvidia-settings)
works too.

Problems and Symptoms:

When I boot up the system the HDMI port does not work and external
monitors cannot be configured.

I can get the screen to work with the following procedure:

- open "sudo nvidia-settings"
- in PRIME profiles select "intel" (confirm dialog)
- in PRIME profiles select "nvidia" (confirm dialog)
- close nvidia-settings
- logout
- login

-> HDMI and external screen works

When I reboot, the HDMI port is not working and I have to go through the
same procedure.

prime-select does not work.

So, when I boot and I do

> sudo prime-select intel
(logout + login)
> sudo prime-select nvidia
(logout + login)

-> still, no HDMI

Currently, the only way to get HDMI to work is to use the
nvidia-settings PRIME profile toggle procedure.

Is this something that could be fixed potentially and how can I assist
with testing?

Bye,
Andreas