[Question #70553]: counter and rate data?

Most of my raw data is made up of counters, and what I need to visualize/monitor is the rate of those counters. Do I need to compute those rates myself before feeding them to graphite, or can graphite represent rate from counter data?

More generally, are there options to perform computations on the data being fed to produce more sources?