Re: [Question #70553]: counter and rate data?

chrismd posted a new comment:
Sorry but I think I have confused you about how movingAverage() works.
It is based on time, but the units are determined by your data interval
(minutely by default). So it sounds like you have data that is not sent
totally regularly and that is totally fine. Unless you tweaked carbon's
storage schemas file your database files will be storing data points
with 1-minute precision (so most data points will have a value of 'None'
if your data is not actually being sent every minute, and if data was
sent more frequently than a minute only the last value for each minute
would actually get stored, so the database precision sometimes needs to
be tweaked). The 'None' data points are ignored by the averaging
functions.

So the short version is, by default doing "target=movingAverage(x.y.z,
10)" will give you a moving average of the x.y.z metric with a 10-minute
window. But say you configured carbon to store the x.y.* metrics with
5-minute precision instead of 1-minute precision. Then
movingAverage(x.y.z, 10) would give you a 50-minute window. I hope that
helps.