Re: [Question #105233]: Size of carbon-cache process only grows, never shrinks

chrismd posted a new comment:
In my experience, most long-running python applications tend to grow
larger over time at least to a certain point. Python is fairly liberal
about memory usage, particularly because allocating objects is
expensive. In many cases python opts to keep unused objects in memory
for later reuse rather than to free the memory back to the OS. For more
insight, take a peek at this article http://effbot.org/pyfaq/why-doesnt-
python-release-the-memory-when-i-delete-a-large-object.htm

Carbon in particular deals with a *lot* of number objects, and Python
never actually frees numbers. I've never run out of memory because of
this myself. I have some very long running carbon processes that are at
about 1G rss, that is a lot of memory but they don't seem to ever need
more than that (at least on my system, YMMV).