[Question #133636]: queue size - writes don't keep up with volume

We have two linux servers running both carbon and carbon-relay for redundant storage of data and clustering.  About 200k metrics are received each minute and after about two hours the writes to disk slows considerably.  Its as if the writes cannot keep up with the volume we are receiving and thus the queue continues to increase.  We are using SAN mounts for this purpose.  Is there anything that would cause this issue?  We feel that our carbon.conf entries are pretty generous as to creates and updates.  Please advise.

Lines from the carbon.conf file:
MAX_QUEUE_SIZE = 500000
MAX_CACHE_SIZE = inf
MAX_UPDATES_PER_SECOND = 100000