[Question #135119]: backing up whisper files

I'm keeping nearly 150,000 whisper files on a RAM disk for performance reasons. Every night I have a backup process that copies the metrics to /tmp (cp -R /usr/local/graphite/storage/whisper /tmp), which I then tar up and archive to NAS.

The problem that I'm running into is that the backing up of these files appears to be causing us to have momentary "holes" in our data, when called via the web with rawData=true. Normally, this wouldn't be such a big deal, but we also use metrics to fire off Nagios alerts to cell phones.

So, some questions:

1) How would you recommend backing up these files?

2) Is there a way to force certain data (in this case, I'm looking at the last 5 minutes for a lot of metrics) to be pulled from the carbon-cache so that I can back these up without holes?

3) Anything else you'd recommend?

I'd consider dropping the last datapoint into memcache for Nagios to hit instead, but some of the time we're alerting off of derivatives, so that doesn't completely solve the problem.

Thanks,
Pete