[Question #136096]: Collecting system metrics

In order to collect generic system metrics (CPU usage, load averages, cpu wait I/O, memory usage, network bytes in / out, tcp connections, et cetera) I'm using gmond from the Ganglia project to send that data to a gmond collector. I then have a script that runs every minute and talks directly to the carbon agent running on port 2003.

I'd like to get rid of the dependency on gmond if possible, and I'm wondering what you recommend to pull this sort of data out of a server and get it in to graphite.

Thanks,
Pete