[Question #140480]: Federated Storage and Mixing Data Points Choices

Does a given metric need to be consistently sent to the same carbon cache for there not to be any breaks in the graph?  I ask this due to the answer given in the launchpad thread below.  Its states that graphite will NOT mix datapoints from two servers that have the same metric.

Even when a datapoint does reside on more than one server, after testing I have noticed that the web UI iterates between where it retrieves the data from in no particular pattern.

Our setup: four linux servers running graphite each with its own separate SAN mount.  CLUSTER_SERVERS is properly setup in local_settings.py

Is the only work around for this to use relay-rules to send to a specified server OR hard-code producers of metrics to point to a particular server?  My primary goal is to gather options to render unified data from the four servers.