Re: [Question #148743]: intelligent scaling for derivatives

chrismd proposed the following answer:
This almost exists already in the form of the summarize() function.
Given a metric of say, 5-minute precision and a summarization interval,
say "1h" it sums the 12 datapoints in each hour into coarser hourly
datapoints. It sounds like what you need is a generalization of this
that can also apply to finer intervals. It seems we could simply augment
summarize() to check the precision of the given metric against the
desired summarization interval and if the interval is coarser, apply the
current logic, but if it is finer to divide each datapoint by the ratio
of the interval sizes.

I think this approach would work in cases where you're graphing a large
enough time period to force datapoint consolidation (ie. number of
datapoints > number of pixels in width of graph area). The default
consolidation method is averaging so you're graph would end up showing
the average minutely rates.

Clueful patch-contributors are always welcome! :)

If you put in a request to join the graphite-dev team I can give you
commit permission on trunk. I'd be happy to help if you want to take a
stab at implementing this functionality.