[Question #156746]: carbon-relay CPU use unchecked

I'm currently running a 4 node cluster, with a fifth dedicated to running carbon-relay + node to receive and distribute inbound data.
What I'm seeing is carbon-relay continues to consume ever more CPU until, over the course of about 12 hours or so, it finally crashes. I'd seen similar things with carbon-cache when MAX_CACHE_SIZE is left at 'inf', but as far as I can see I have no facility to control a similar setting for the relay (I'd assumed it was used for the relay at all).

Here's my [relay] section of carbon.conf:

[relay]
LINE_RECEIVER_INTERFACE = 0.0.0.0
LINE_RECEIVER_PORT = 2003

PICKLE_RECEIVER_INTERFACE = 0.0.0.0
PICKLE_RECEIVER_PORT = 2004

MAX_QUEUE_SIZE = 50000

# This defines the maximum "message size" between carbon daemons.
# You shouldn't need to tune this unless you really know what you're doing.
MAX_DATAPOINTS_PER_MESSAGE = 500