[Question #157083]: layer of indirection for target groups?

I use graphite on Amazon EC2, so my group of production targets (instanceIds in the metric names) changes over time. I'd like to not have to rebuild the graphs every time my production set changes. Is there a way to define a group of metrics that I can reference abstractly in graph definitions, and maintain through some other method? It seems like this probably exists but like many thing in graphite, not documented :)

eg, say there was a table that had a group definition:
   INSERT INTO account_metricgroups (user=1, name="prodweb", metrics="i-XXXXXX.cpu_sys,i-YYYYYY.cpu_sys")

then users could define a graph like:
  target=movingAverage(sum(prodweb),30)

which would always resolve prodweb to whatever list of metrics were defined in the group list.

I currently solve this by pushing a new set of statically defined graphs into the account_mygraph table for a fake user every time my EC2 config changes, which is such a horrifying solution I can't believe I just admitted to it.