Re: [Question #157213]: API Proposal

Scott Lyons gave more information on the question:
Not a problem, Chrismd. I can understand that working at the almighty
Google would leave you busy.

While my original post suggested using Simple API, it was simply a
stand-in for any sort of API. I've been working with two different
libraries to see which one fits the project better. The end goal was a
RESTful API that would allow for control of all the Carbon/Whisper
functionality. I should have a demo of sorts soon enough, but the
structure I'm aiming for is:

/api
    /<dot.delimited.path>
         - Would support GET, PUT, POST, DELETE for a low-level control of an individual datapoint
    /calc
         - Would handle all of the calculations, similar to Graphite's render module now
    /aggregate
         - Support for querying and creating aggregate entries dynamically
    /relay
         - Configure and control the carbon-relay process

This is a basic and not entirely well thought out structure, but you get
the idea. I'm looking at either txrestapi or wsgiservice as the library
to use. One has the advantage of being made for Twisted, which would fit
the rest of the project, while the other being WSGI based makes it
simpler to integrate elsewhere.

Another option under consideration is a JSONRPC server. This would be
more flexible functionality-wise but not as widely used as REST.