[Question #169882]: Slow web performance when clustered.

I have 2 graphite cache servers located in our main datacenter.  We have a 6 or so graphite relay servers ( one in each of our datacenters ).  The relays are configured to send to both of the cache servers, so basically a data duplication on each of the cache servers.  In our main datacenter we have a handful of servers located on the same network that cannot connect to the relay server, also the cache servers themselves cannot reach the relay server (firewall).  The relay server CAN send the metrics to the cache servers.  But I figure it is silly to open a port on the firewall so the cache server can send it's metrics to the relay only to have them relayed back ( 20 other servers as well in the same network ).  So for those servers within the secure network I am sending the metrics directly to the cache server instead of through the relay. The problem is that all other metrics are being relayed to the 2 servers.    Sending directly to the cache does not duplicate the data to the other cache server.  Since we want  to minimize the risk if we lose one cache server I have half the secure hosts send the metrics to one cache server and the other half to the 2nd cache server.   However, when I cluster the 2 the whole webapp drags to a crawl.  I'm thinking it is because of the duplicate data on each server.  Any advice on this?   I know this is a rather complicated explanation so if you have questions please let me know.

The original purpose behind 2 cache servers was to have redundancy in the case of a failure.  Also we have them behind a load balancer so web requests can go to either.

Thanks!

Cody