Re: [Question #176255]: More performance tuning magic please

Serge Danzanvilliers proposed the following answer:
I'm currently pushing 220K+ metrics per minute on a 8 eight core box (2x
quadcore) with 18GB ram and a ssd drive to store the whisper files. I'm
using the following setup:

1 carbon-relay -> 7 carbon-aggregators -> 4 carbon-cache (all using consistent hashing)
The webapp is hosted on the same machine, using a 1GB memcache

MAX_CACHE_SIZE is set to inf
MAX_CREATES_PER_MINUTE is set to 250
MAX_UPDATE_PER_SECONDS is set to 1000

I use aggregators to do rewriting stuff and (obviously) aggregations.
Using multiple of them + multiple cache on the same bow allows for
better scalability as the number of input metrics will go higher. I'm
not IO bound (thanks to ssd) and the cpu load is equally balanced on all
cores except for the one running the relay wich is a bit higher.