Re: [Question #177524]: can graphie scale to Ks of nodes at frequencies of seconds

Mark Seger posted a new comment:
Please understand I'm not trying to be difficult.  I completely
understand what you're telling me but I still think information is being
lost when you display anything but the original, unaltered data.  Sure,
you'll see a blip when you add up all those one's and include the 10,
but you'd also see a blip when you have a string of 2's for that same
interval which may be perfectly normal.  My point is size does matter.
I don't want to see a little blip when there's a significant anomaly, I
want to see a spike.  Further, if there are 2 spike in the same interval
I want to see both of them.

The way one gets around this in gnuplot is to simply plot all data as
dots rather than lines - normally I plot lines but sometimes I use dots.
Then if you have a couple of outliers during the same interval you still
see both of them.  I totally understand what graphite is doing and most
users are probably very satisfied with what it does - it sure looks good
to me for showing trends in the data.

It sure looks like you've addressed the hard part - scaling up to handle
large volumes of monitoring data and stashing it away.  From my
experiences there are always multiple ways to view that data depending
on what you're looking for and I've seen quite a different set of ways
to view it.  A real nifty thing to do with graphite in the future might
be to explore supporting multiple views, be they stacked lines, points
or even radial plots.

-mark