[Question #180333]: Graph generation doesn't match graph granularity

Does graphite generate graphs on-demand, and are they based on the most recent data in the whisper files?  I ask because it seems like graphite will only generate new graphs every 60 seconds, even though I'm putting data in the whisper files every 5 seconds and have the retention set to 5 seconds.  The graphs have 5 second granularity, but I only get new graphs every 60 seconds regardless of how often I reload the graph.