[Question #180785]: Strip leading "Graphite." as a convenience

We have some metrics about graphite but I can't seem to get them to render properly. The target is something like graphite.foo.bar It seems that the leading graphite is stripped for some convenience reasons. I can get the metrics if I set the target to graphite.graphite.foo.bar but that doesn't seem right.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~graphite-dev/graphite/main/view/head:/webapp/graphite/render/views.py#L195

Is this the intended functionality and if so is there a way to override it without changing the code?