Re: [Question #179136]: Completer should be able to search "better"

chrismd changed the question status:
The problem boils down to how the search is performed and how many
metrics you have. The current solution uses filesystem glob patterns
with a few tricks sprinkled in. This is a pretty efficient method. The
webapp can search against an index file as well but that is very slow
once you have more than a few tens of thousands of metrics. I actually
tried implementing a preloaded index, stored in a tree structure that
would support all the current search functionality plus more but it
turned out to be a huge resource hog both in terms of memory and in
terms of startup cost (which can be significant and somewhat frequent
depending on your apache/wsgi config). I'm not saying a better search
can't be implemented, just that I've tried and it's proven non-trivial.