[Question #181041]: integrating graphite and javasimon

Hi,

I have an application that is currently instrumented with javasimon (http://code.google.com/p/javasimon/). This library provides all the counters and aggregation functionality. I am currently plotting this data with nagios by polling my hosts every 5 minutes.

I would like to send the data to graphite but I am unable to understand how to do that. The documentation pages I have found don't detail the methods (http://graphite.wikidot.com/getting-your-data-into-graphite and http://readthedocs.org/docs/graphite/en/1.1/feeding-carbon.html).  What I can understand from reading other posts is that there are 3 ways: plain text, pickle and amqp.

Is there a good place for me to get started trying to send data to graphite?
What is the preferred protocol for sending data from java?

apologies if this answer is already in another post. I searched a bit but couldn't find it.

thanks
andre