[Question #184854]: Obtaining available metrics

Hello,
Firstly Graphite is quite cool. Thanks for the great work!

We're using collectd to write to carbon/whisper which a large amount of success. We are in the process of rolling our own UI and we would like to know how can we obtain the list of available metrics.

For example, collectd grabs all of the interface stats off our routers and switches. They are stored as:
hostname.if_octets.*.rx  where * is the interface name.
Each of our network elements have a different set of interface names, so we would like to be able to query carbon/whisper to obtain the names of all of the network interfaces, so we can then pass them into a for loop elsewhere to render what we are after.

How can we go about doing that?

Thanks again for your help.
Daniel Cooper
Sydney, Australia