[Question #185158]: Trying to understand graphing counts

Here's an example:

I want my monitoring system to increment a counter in graphite every time it sends an alert. (Lets say my storage schema is something simple like 60:200000.)  Then I could see how many alerts I get each minute, for ~130 days.

Initially, and pre-0.9.9, I would look at using something like etsy's statsd to send the data to carbon.  However, with 0.9.9 and the new aggregation methods, is that necessary anymore?

Should I instead just set my aggregation method to 'sum' for these counts, and do a regular post to carbon directly?