[Question #185951]: Cleaning up Whisper DBs

AS we've been implementing graphite and whisper (0.9.9) we have run across times where we are changing our metric naming, and so we have old dead paths in whisper/Graphite.

How do you get rid of these?

Is there a natural time out where if they are not updated they will be removed?

I've tried to stop the carbon-cache then rm them from the filesystem, but starting carbon and they magically re-appear.

I managed to completely remove the whisper hierarchy to clean things up- but of course lost already collected valid data.

How do people clean up their whisper data?