Re: [Question #148743]: intelligent scaling for derivatives

Nicholas Leskiw proposed the following answer:
All facets of Graphite, Carbon and Whisper assume that you're using data in
buckets, not time,value pairs. There's lots of good reasons for this as
well. It's one of those things that looks simple at first, (oh, sure, just
make 'em time value pairs.) but becomes deviously complicated in the
implementation. Changing this would practically be a complete re-write of
the whole application.  Rendering, storage, and collection would all have
to change.

Why don't you calculate bytesPerTenSeconds, bytesPerMin (and maybe
megabytesPerHour) with no rollup (i.e. only one retention rate) and store
them in 3 separate .wsp files? If your data source can't produce that data,
I feel for you, but it's probably a lot easier to do some simple math
before sending the data than re-writing the entire Graphite storage system
for an edge case like this.

-Nick

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 4:11 AM, magec <question148743@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx