Re: [Question #188308]: From your experience what do you prefer: counter or rate value?

Michael Leinartas posted a new comment:
I've gone both ways with this with the metrics I have coming in with
collectd. I'm currently preferring to have the collectd graphite plugin
(I use https://github.com/indygreg/collectd-carbon) 'normalize' all
COUNTER and DERIVE types before storage (by taking the derivative). I do
this mostly for convenience - it's rare that we want to view a raw
counter's value, almost always what we're trying to see is the trend of
per-bucket counts (the derivative).

For COUNTER and DERIVE types collectd defines for each metric (in
types.db) an upper and lower bound which allows rolled-over counters to
be detected in a little more intelligent of a manner than something like
the nonNegativeDerivative function. That said, with collectd I've rarely
had a problem show in the graph data unless we restarted the central
collectd agent.

One thing to note: the whisper aggregationMethod you use (in storage-
aggregation.conf) may be different for each way of doing this.  For
storing raw counter values, last() makes sense to use. For pre-derived
counts, I prefer sum() and think that it gives what most people expect
though there are those who prefer average() for counts.