[Question #192662]: Is graphite ideal for showing aggregate stats and comparing them; howto draw Bar Graphs and pie charts.

Hi,

I am trying to develop a Plugin for Pidgin, a popular multi-protocol chat client. My basic task is to display what all features of Pidgin's interface are commonly used. I have read about graphite's architecture and I found it useful for real-time performance metrics. But my question is related to showing aggregate analysis. Typically I would like to:

Take feedback from multiple users regarding what IM service they are using (this will be automated by my plugin), what all plugins they are using, their architecture type etc. When rendering information I would like something like: What is the relative percentage of people using IM services. As you can see this is not really real-time graphing, but rather aggregated statistics. Is graphite an ideal tool for such tasks ? How can such counters be implemented in graphite ?

Suppose I want to gather information per user about what he uses:
user1: random_hash, im_services: xmpp, jabber, msn, plugins: a, b, c

And I want, count of users using im_serivce xmpp etc.

Also, I found some documentation for drawing pie charts, what about Bar Graphs ?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
--Sanket