Re: [Question #192170]: delays in graphing

Michael Leinartas proposed the following answer:
Are you using 0.9.9? There were a few fixes to the cache full behavior
that I think will help you. In 0.9.9 there was a bug where if carbon-
cache's cache were full, it would have to drain the entire cache to disk
before it'd start receiving again. There was also a similar problems in
the carbon client (used when sending from one carbon daemon to another).

I suggest you start with applying at least this patch:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~graphite-dev/graphite/main/revision/673

and you may want these two as well:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~graphite-dev/graphite/main/revision/671
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~graphite-dev/graphite/main/revision/672

Outside of that, the main setting to play with is the
MAX_UPDATES_PER_SECOND - decreasing the value will cause more writes to
be bunched together and result in more sequential writes and increasing
it will result in more random writes. You'll want to tweak it to what
performs best on your storage.