bzr flow question

A little help, folks? I'm bzr clueless.

I've not been able to gather too much from the Launchpad
bzr info. Enough that I was able to push some code and
make a merge request, but now I'm unsure of myself with
new code.

Specifically, I did:

  bzr launchpad-login jblaine-kickflop
  bzr branch lp:graphite
  [ made changes at the time ]
  bzr commit
  bzr push lp:~jblaine-kickflop/graphite/readme-install
  [ made merge request for that branch ]

Now I am sitting in the same source tree from that previous
commit and did some *other* work:

  bzr up (nothing to retrieve)
  [ made changes ]
  bzr commit
  bzr push lp:~jblaine-kickflop/graphite/carbon-metrics-name-override

Of course, the diff (and therefore the merge request)
for this branch against lp:graphite includes not only
the new code, but also the changes made in the previous
branch a few weeks ago (readme-install)

Should I have done a 'bzr branch lp:graphite' after my
'bzr up'?