[Question #198435]: Scaling to very large number of slowly updating metrics

Hello, I am evaluating graphite for use in our production system. We would like to track a very large number of metrics (10 million, may grow to 100 million). Most of these metrics update very slowly, maybe once every few days or even months. A small number of them will update much more frequently and I think I understand how I can scale graphite to handle that part of the load.

My question: is there a limit or bottleneck in graphite for such a large number of files based on the sheer number of them?

Maybe there can't be that many whisper files, or carbon can't keep track of that many metrics, or the graphite web app tree-view of metrics bogs down. I don't know, but I can imagine that there could be a problem with that many metrics.

But I'm hoping there isn't one :) so that I can get away with a single graphite host for all our metrics (assuming it can take the load of the frequently updating metrics without having to scale).

Thanks,
Thomas