Re: [Question #199890]: RDB (custom storage) support

Michael Leinartas proposed the following answer:
The time step is merely determined by the storage format - Whisper
forces you to pre-configure the granularity of data and this is where
the step originates. For any given data series requested, Whisper will
send data from the highest-precision retention definition that will
satisfy all the points and include the relevant step (the first part of
that retention definition) so the display logic knows what to expect.

In your case, I think it makes sense to keep the step always at 1
second. This will simplify things on your end and I don't think there's
really a reason to consolidate the data to a larger step - there are
indeed functions which can do the consolidation to larger steps at
display time if needed (summarize() for instance).