[Question #204365]: render api returning png when asked for json

I am trying to get JSON data out from my graphite install. When I access `http://legitimatewebsite.biz/render/?target=stats_counts.some.metric&format=json` a png is returned. If I instead access ``http://legitimatewebsite.biz/render/?target=stats_counts.some.metric&format=csv` the expected csv is returned, so I'm confident in the query format. Other graphs are rendered as expected, and I don't see any errors in the logs.

I'm running graphite 0.9.8 on python 2.6 and RHEL. I've looked in the docs for historic versions of the render api, but the oldest documentation on read the docs is 0.9.x and it lists json as a valid format.