[Question #204534]: Consistent Coloring of Graphs

Idea: There should be a way for a Graphite dashboard to keep track of the colors it used for various metrics. This way, Graphite would be able to re-use the same colors for identical metrics in the same dashboard

Details: We have a dashboard which monitors the performance of our MongoDB. In one graph, we have cluster-wide stats, and then we have graphs for each shard. The colors are different for each series in each of the graphs. For example, in the cluster-wide graph, db.items reads/sec is green, while in shard01 it's blue, and its red in the shard02 graph.

Perhaps there can be a dict:metric->color stored on the dashboard level. When Glyph goes to graph each metric, it looks up whether there is already a key defined for the metric, and if so, uses the color defined in the dict. This way, the same metric in multiple graphs will be graphed in the same color.

This is my first time delving into the Graphite code, but I think we're looking at the code in /webapp/graphite/render/glyph.py :

    for series in self.data:
      if not hasattr(series, 'color'):
        series.color = self.colors.next()

This would be replaced with a lookup in the dict, and setting the value in the dict if it doesn't exist. The dict would be in the Cairo Surface context in order to make it accessible to all the graphs.

Any ideas?

-Mike