Re: [Question #205821]: Plot metrics in the future

Dieter P posted a new comment:
I did some work on this code recently (https://github.com/graphite-
project/whisper/pull/6) and noticed that some of the "magic" adjustments
of from/until times seem a bit inconsistent.  I don't think there is a
single "philosophy" that explains all cases, I had the impression most
of these adjustments were added at one point without thinking too much
about it.

My opinion on this is: whisper should only error if from > until. in all
other cases (an until date in the future, even a from date in the
future) whisper should IMHO just return whatever the user asked for.
it's the caller's responsability to use sensible/correct from/until
dates.

magically altering from/until dates:
* makes things less clear (if you're debugging a web interface and you see a request with a certain from/until date, you should be able to know that's what whisper will return you, without diving in the whisper code to find out all the special conditions)
* makes things less flexible (if you try to prevent users from doing dumb things, you also prevent them from doing clever things), as this example shows
* introduces uncertainty .  different callers might have different expectations and assumptions.