[Question #210117]: LDAP authentication questions

Hi,

I'm trying to use the LDAP backend for authentication to Active Directory (AD), but am thwarted by the need for a base user / password.  My AD server isn't allowing bind() without those, and I don't know that we even have such a generic account -- is it typical to have these in corporate installations?

We've been using another open source Django project (Review Board), and even though it has an LDAP backend, it has a separate backend for AD with different config. settings.  It's also implemented such that it doesn't require a base user / password and instead binds as the authenticating user / password.

What do you think about adding a variant of their AD backend to graphite?  Code is at https://github.com/reviewboard/reviewboard/blob/master/reviewboard/accounts/backends.py .

thx,
Chris