Re: [Question #212338]: Combining graphite data for migration

Nicholas Leskiw proposed the following answer:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'one directory's worth of information'

The entire /opt/storage/whisper directory can be tar.gz-ed and moved to
the new server, and all that data will be available on the new instance.
This will leave a gap in your data, as new data will not be added during
the copy.

If it's not acceptable to have a gap in the data on your new server, you
can leave the old systems running, have the data go to both the new and
old systems, and write a script to re-send the past N hours of data from
the old system to the new system through carbon, filling in the gap.

AFAIK, each whisper file will exists only on one instance, so it *should* be safe to merge two directories together but PLEASE check first. You will also need to make sure that the routing of metrics (however you have chosen to handle that) stays the same (everything bound for old1 and old2 goes to new1, and everything bound for old3 and old4 goes to new2)
If anyone else on list has any comments or concerns about my advice, please share them. I have not dealt with this exact situation and am extrapolating the expected behavior of the systems.

-Nick