[Question #213347]: Should I use gauges or counters?

Whilst being kind of a novice with graphite, I have managed to set it up on a dedicated machine along with statsd and got it working as I want, but this confuses me:

I have a number of places in my application where I would like to keep track of the total amount of things whilst still retaining time-based data. For example - total signups since day 0, as well as signups per minute/hour/whatever.

My first idea was to increment a counter named "users.total" on user signup, but when opening graphite and looking at it I see what I believe is increments per time unit, unless I'm completely misunderstanding it.
To work around this, I tried to apply different modifiers inside graphite - "sum", "hitcount" and "integral, but neither seems to be able to get a nice total sum over time - Integral is close except that it always has the zero on the left side, making it impossible to zoom in on an area and spot specific changes between dates.

Sure, I could do the equivalent of COUNT("users") in my database and storing it as a gauge datatype, but It would be much nicer to use the already available counter.

What can I do here?

Please bear in mind that I have little milage with Graphite & statsd yet. Thanks in advance!