[Question #214631]: Hardware specs for carbons

Hello,

I wrote about this before but am curious about doing this right. I would like to find out what is the proper amount of carbons that I could run on a given hardware machine. Most of my servers are Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5645  @ 2.40GHz with 24GB of RAM. We are writing on NAS using NFS. Not the fastest but this is not the concern for this calculation.

I am currently running 6 carbons which have all the following settings:

MAX_CACHE_SIZE = inf
MAX_UPDATES_PER_SECOND = 90

I read on another ticket that the default value for UPDATES should be 500 / N. N being the number of caches running. Is that still correct?

Also, whichever UPDATES i put there, it does write somewhat faster but i still end up with caches of roughly 50.000 metrics which take about an hour to show up.

I have read about changing MAX_CACHE_SIZE but read there were bugs in it which might drop metrics. I have also read on using FLOW_CONTROL. Would you mind just explaining to me how this might be of benefit?

Can you please tell me what am I doing wrong? I would love to be able to make graphite faster. I am using 0.9.10 at the moment.

Thanks!