[Question #214845]: CPU spikes on Graphite server

We see periodic CPU spikes on our Graphite server. They last for about twenty minutes, during which time the webapp is unresponsive. They server recovers without intervention. There seems to be no data loss and no sign that the upstream clients are having trouble sending data during the spike.

Can you give me some advice to help me work out what is causing the problem?

During the spikes the CPU is being used by the apache processes. There are memory spikes at the same time as the CPU spike, but to <50% of the total available memory, so it doesn't look like this is the cause of the problem. Looking at the Carbon metrics, the only ones which show correlated changes are cache.queries and avgUpdateTime, which both jump at the same time. I'll post a chart showing all this.

Thanks for your help.
-Ben