[Question #216392]: Graphite broken images

Graphite is producing only broken images with a 500 error from /render/

Its a fresh install, i believe my log may not be set up correctly as no logging is make for this error,
but view the broken image gives me:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py", line 111, in get_response
    response = callback(request, *callback_args, **callback_kwargs)
  File "/opt/graphite/webapp/graphite/render/views.py", line 168, in renderView
    image = doImageRender(requestOptions['graphClass'], graphOptions)
  File "/opt/graphite/webapp/graphite/render/views.py", line 354, in doImageRender
    img = graphClass(**graphOptions)
  File "/opt/graphite/webapp/graphite/render/glyph.py", line 161, in __init__
    self.setupCairo( params.get('outputFormat','png').lower() )
  File "/opt/graphite/webapp/graphite/render/glyph.py", line 183, in setupCairo
    self.surface = cairo.ImageSurface(cairo.FORMAT_ARGB32, self.width, self.height)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'ImageSurface'

I've have install Py2cairo and am running on Mac OS X.7, any idea why ImageSurface has no attribute? Or what is going wrong with my graphite installation.

>From the Python prompt I can run

import cairo
cairo.ImageSurce(cairo.FORMAT_ARGB32,100,100)

without error, so why is it failing inside the web application?