[Question #217175]: cpu bound on graphing multiple metrics

I am a Graphite Newbie,

When running graphite graph rendering on stats  getting issues with cpu bound server. I would like to improve the performance.
I have heard that memcached will help not sure how I would set this up. I have a extra host can add in.
I can see in the config file (.py) the option to enable memcached however I want to test by setting up 2 cluster nodes on single host just to see that config works docs are bit thin on ground on howto.
I am using graphite 0.9.9 apache 2.2 and linux. I have many GB of whisper files.

Lastly in standard config is there any options in apache that can be tuned to improve the performance of rendering large number of metrics ? when I run server-stats module I can see that is always 1 httpd process that goes high on cpu an memory.apache is compiled with prefork, there is never any more than  5 concurrent users rendering but a render really hits the box hard want to soften the blow.

AMQP & pickle are not being used.