[Question #217749]: Graphs lagging behind

After upgrading to 0.9.10 our graphs are lagging behind.   We have set our

MAX_UPDATES_PER_SECOND  according to the formula  outlined in this answer https://answers.launchpad.net/graphite/+question/212303

Using the formula has made our graphite installation much more stable however we seem to have lost real time visibility.

Now the graphs lag behind about the duration of a write cycle.  Once the datapoints in the cache are flushed to disk the graphs update.    I thought graphite pulled data both from the cache and from disk but either I misunderstood the inner workings or I have a misconfiguration somewhere.   The MAX_UPDATES_PER_SECOND value decreased significantly which is obviously buffering more into the cache.   As I stated before this has made our cache perform much more stably.  Any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks !