[Question #226753]: Collecting metrics for your application

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question.
Curious how people are integrating sending of metrics to graphite. It appears most are using a client (many available on statsd github) that sends to statsd which sends on to carbon.
My question is do you think it is ok to include this "cross cutting concern" as such directly into your code. What I am seeing is my application code has went from been nice and clean to now not so nice and clean with code to gather metrics intertwined with my business code.
Any thoughts?