[Question #227373]: Graphite responds with no data - why?

I have been using Graphite for a while, and we have a lot of metrics reporting in.  Recently I upgraded all components (whisper, carbon, webapp) to the version that was in the tree on github as of Nov 12, 2012.  It took way to long to get these changes into production.  Regardless, I am seeing a problem now.

The problem is with metrics that get reported very sporadically.  The metrics are indicative of a failure scenario, so it could be days or weeks between receiving a metric value from my production systems.  What I have seen is that if there are no metrics reported, then Graphite will respond with no data to queries for them IF the period is coming from the first retention period.  Note: Graphite is not responding with 'None' values -- it is responding with nothing.  When I look at the webapp log, I can see '200' values for the query, and there are no other error messages generated anywhere.

 I have two retention periods defined: 1m:3d, and 15m:5y.

I have discovered that if I simply 'touch' the .wsp files that exist in that part of the tree, then Graphite will report values again.

I have looked at the changes in webapp since Nov 12, and it has changed a lot.  I wanted to see what the association is between the time the file has been updated and Graphite returning valid values.  It looks like there is an optimization included in the newest version that looks at the file's last modification time.  Is that true?

Thanks!