Re: [Question #227568]: Read datapoint from graphite programmatically

Description changed to:
Hi,

I am trying (also, similarly to older questions) to compute and graph
network interface rates from raw counter data (cumulative bytes/pkts) I
am getting to a perl script from sflow probes.

Please don't respond with the derivative workaround or URL/webapp
functions.

The solution looks like this:

Network Switch (sflow) -> sflow2graphite.pl (TCP socket) -> carbon-cache
(port 2003)

Essentially I am using the plaintext protocol to write the counter to
graphite via the socket (carbon listening on 2003).

If I could read the last <datapoint,timepoint> (cumulative bytes,
timestamp) fed to graphite in this script, I could easily calculate
bitrate (bytes seen-last bytes seen/dt) and store a rate metric to
graphite.

Is there a way one can use the socket interface to read the last
<datapoint,timestamp> from graphite for a selected metric?