Re: [Question #223956]: Graphite-Web Refactoring Help Request

James Stewart posted a new comment:
Thanks Chris, Dieter and Peter for your replies. I'm really glad to hear
that there's still interest in the idea of abstracting the backend to
graphite-web.

I'm definitely of the opinion that the abstraction layer be built into
graphite-web rather than carbon. There are already 3 data sources
(whisper, ceres and rrd) but last time I looked they each had specific
code in graphite-web. Perhaps the first step would be looking at how
they might be abstracted via a single interface.

There is definitely merit to the idea of moving away from dot-separated
metric names. However being that the dot-separated names are quite
integral to graphite-web, I think there will be work enough in just
making the backend pluggable.

Peter your kairosdb interface sounds like a perfect candidate. I
envisage a standard plugin interface so that when somebody wishes to add
a new backend, (like you did for kairosdb) there is a clearly-defined
means of doing so.

I've forked graphite-web and will also take a look at Peter's kairosdb
code. When I have a proposal for how this might be implemented I'll post
back here for comments. Hopefully some of you will be able to lend
advice and possibly help out with the implementation!

Cheers,
James