[Question #235476]: Graphing HTTP Response Codes?

I'm attempting to graph http response codes (as provided in our apache logs being parsed by logstash/elasticsearch/kibana) in Graphite. From what I can tell, I can do this one of two ways:

1.) Use logstash statsd output module
2.) Use logstash graphite output module

>From what I've read, it seems with the statsd output, I specify incrementing some value like: apache.response.%{status}

When I enter this manually: echo "apache.response.200 10 `date +%s`" | nc localhost 2003  I see the info tracked in Graphite.
This might be more of a logstash issue than a Graphite issue, not sure.
My apache log data is json format and is being processed quite well in Kibana, so I'm not sure what's going wrong here.

Thanks.