[Question #237433]: Ability to extend Graphite with alerts/hooks system

Hello!

I would like to know about the possibility to extend Graphite with a hook/trigger mechanism to notify other clients. I have examined the sources of Graphite and have not found appropriate place for this, nor a way to extend Graphite without modifying existing sources (and losing ability to upgrade Graphite in future without custom patches).
Existing external solutions like Tattle do not meet my requirements. I need to be able to setup hook/alerts for hundred of thousands of parameters and ideally I would like to check triggers inside of Graphite without making calls to /render? method, and possibly with some optimization b/c pulls will be made directly from whisper DB missing some of infrastructure (apache/etc).

For example, one case of alerts I would like to implement is to notify other software via HTTP requests, if the number of datapoints per minute per parameter would rich some threshold. And it would be tracked for 50k-80k of parameters roughly.
Another approach I have in my mind is to implement all this without altering Graphite. But then again I would need to setup duplicate listener for datapoints (not sure which is the best way to implement it) and make calls to "/render" method each time I need to check the trigger...

The big question is follows. How do you feel about extending Graphite with such functionality? Do you think it's appropriate to solve the task by introducing hook/alerts mechanism into software? If you know about other means of solving the problem of this scale, please let me know.

Thank you.