[Question #239188]: Having trouble getting aggregations

I am having a lot of trouble getting the carbon-aggregator to do anything. Since we autoscale instances up and down all day long, my goal is to not save individual server metrics, but rather just the aggregate. Here is an example:

server.ct-app-01.load.load.shortterm
server.ct-app-02.load.load.shortterm
server.ct-app-03.load.load.shortterm

Should be aggregated down to: apps.ct.app.load.short

To facilitate this, I have the following in aggregation-rules.conf:

The apps namespace never shows up and I have confirmed that my clients are connecting on the aggregator port of 2023. The metrics are coming in from collectd on each of the nodes.

What am I doing wrong?